Periodontitis: The Definitive Guide in 2021
May 01, 2019
Fast Facts on Periodontitis
- Periodontitis or gum disease affects area around the tooth including bone and gums.
- There appears to be a link between gum disease and conditions elsewhere in the body such as heart disease.
The main aim of periodontal treatment near you is to clean out bacteria from pockets around teeth and prevent further destruction of bone and tissues.
2. Good oral hygiene
Good oral hygiene should be followed daily even if teeth and gums are healthy for preventing infection.
3. Scaling and cleaning
It’s important to remove plaque and calculus for restoring periodontal health. A dentist in NY 11374 will carry out scaling for cleaning below the gumline.
- Antiseptic chip
- Antibiotic gel
- Antibiotic microspheres
- Oral antibiotics
1. Flap surgery
The dentist performs flap surgery for removing calculus in deep pockets and reducing the pocket so that it is easier to keep it clean. The gums are then sutured back into place so they fit closely to tooth.
2. Bone and tissue grafts
The procedure helps in generating bone or gum tissue that has been destroyed.
- Floss for cleaning the space between the teeth.
- Taking extra care when cleaning uneven surfaces.
- Using antibacterial mouthwash after brushing.
- Inflamed and swollen gums
- Bright red and purple gums
- Pain when gums are touched
- Receding gums
- Extra space between teeth
Periodontitis vs Gingivitis
Gingivitis is the first stage of gum disease while periodontitis is advanced stage. The gums are irritated and may bleed while brushing in gingivitis. While in periodontitis, the damage is irreversible.
One of the main causes of gum disease is lack of oral hygiene routine. The build up of plaque and bacteria in the long run leads to gum diseases.
- Hormonal changes in women
The dentist near you will diagnose gum disease by looking at signs and symptoms and physical examination.
One of the most common complications is tooth loss but apart from that gum disease can also lead to several other health issues such as heart disease, diabetes, pre-term birth, etc.Back to Blog